Here is a checklist of items to do immediately after returning to India (based on community inputs).
- Apply for an Aadhaar card. Most places will need this as your ID. Give your passport as address proof.
- Apply for a PAN card. Visit your local Akshaya center for help.
- Apply for a secured credit card (deposit amount and get a credit card based on it). This will help you build your CIBIL score early on.
- Open a bank account (give your local address proof).
- Your status is still an NRI for 180 days after your return. So use it wisely. Change your status after 180 days.
- Withdraw your foreign funds to your NRE account before your status changes.
- Pick up a medical insurance plan for your family.
- Start an SIP.
What else can you think of? Please share.